Wednesday 3 August 2022 09:31 PM Vermont man charged in 'Murder on the High Seas' plot will remain in jail ... trends now

Wednesday 3 August 2022 09:31 PM Vermont man charged in 'Murder on the High Seas' plot will remain in jail ... trends now
Wednesday 3 August 2022 09:31 PM Vermont man charged in 'Murder on the High Seas' plot will remain in jail ... trends now

Wednesday 3 August 2022 09:31 PM Vermont man charged in 'Murder on the High Seas' plot will remain in jail ... trends now

A Vermont man charged with killing his mother at sea during a 2016 fishing trip off the coast of New England in a plot to inherit millions of dollars will remain in jail until his trial because he's a flight risk, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

U.S. District Court Judge Geoffrey Crawford denied Nathan Carman's request to be released and ordered him held without bail, saying he is a potential flight risk and danger due to the seriousness of the charges, lack of strong family, employment or community connections 'and his involvement with firearms and the ongoing feud with his family' over his late grandfather's inheritance.

Crawford said the evidence regarding the loss of his mother at sea, and 'the acrimonious dispute' with his aunts over the inheritance, as well as his purchase of AR-15 type weapons 'are evidence that this is a volatile situation.'

Carman, 28, of Vernon, Vermont, was charged in May with murder and fraud in the killing of his mother, Linda Carman of Middletown, Connecticut, during a fishing trip in which his boat sank. He was found floating in a raft and rescued eight days after departing from a Rhode Island marina. 

Carman pleaded not guilty in his mother's death. The judge noted on Tuesday that he faces a mandatory life sentence, without the possibility of parole, if convicted.

Nathan Carman will remain behind bars after being charged with killing his mother at sea during a 2016 fishing trip off the coast of New England in a plot to inherit millions of dollars. He's pictured here at an appearance in federal court in Providence, Rhode Island in 2019

Nathan Carman will remain behind bars after being charged with killing his mother at sea during a 2016 fishing trip off the coast of New England in a plot to inherit millions of dollars. He's pictured here at an appearance in federal court in Providence, Rhode Island in 2019

Carman allegedly killed his mother (pictured together) and grandfather in a bid to defraud Chakalos' $42million estate - built up through building and renting nursing homes

Carman allegedly killed his mother (pictured together) and grandfather in a bid to defraud Chakalos' $42million estate - built up through building and renting nursing homes

Prosecutors have also accused Carman of killing his grandfather, John Chakalos, 87, who they say was shot in his home in Windsor, Connecticut, in 2013 as part of a scheme to obtain money and property from his grandfather´s estate. 

Carman was the last person to see his grandfather alive when he had dinner with him the night before his death, according to a police affidavit. He received $550,000 from his grandfather's estate, but prosecutors say he then killed his mother because he wanted more, according to the indictment

Assistant US Attorney Nathanael Burris revealed new details on Tuesday when he told the judge that Carman's grandfather had been supporting him but threatened to cut him off financially if he failed to keep his grades up in college.

Two days before Chakalos was murdered, Carman received his grades from Keene State College which revealed he had failed every class. 

Carman 'knew what his grandfather would do,' Burris said. Carman has not been charged in that case and has denied any involvement in his grandfather's death.

When Carman was arraigned in May on charges alleging he killed his mother, he shouted 'Not guilty!' in the direction of reporters who asked him if he had killed his mother as he approached the courtroom, where he then entered a formal plea of not guilty. 

But his own relatives have begged the court to keep him behind bars until his trial.

'We strongly support the actions of the US Attorney's Office to have Nathan remain in custody as we firmly believe, knowing Nathan better than anyone, that he is both a danger to this family and a flight risk,' Carman's aunts, Elaine Chakalos and Charlene Gallagher, wrote in a letter to the court, according to the Boston Globe.

However, Carman's father pleaded for his son's release, according to a letter filed in court on Monday.

Earle Clark Carman described his son as 'a responsible young man who poses no ongoing mental health issues' and is only interested in proving his

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Sunday 14 August 2022 10:07 PM Number of Clearing places at Russell Group colleges halves as worst squeeze in ... trends now
NEXT Monday 1 August 2022 12:03 AM Keir Starmer faces crisis as unions' revolt grows over failure to back strikes trends now