Saturday 6 August 2022 04:07 PM British woman, 20, third member of family to die from suspected poisoning on ... trends now

Saturday 6 August 2022 04:07 PM British woman, 20, third member of family to die from suspected poisoning on ... trends now
Saturday 6 August 2022 04:07 PM British woman, 20, third member of family to die from suspected poisoning on ... trends now

Saturday 6 August 2022 04:07 PM British woman, 20, third member of family to die from suspected poisoning on ... trends now

A young woman has become the third member of a British family to die in a suspected poisoning while on a visit to Bangladesh.

Samira Islam, 20, has died in hospital 11 days after her father and brother were found dead in their rented holiday apartment.

Taxi driver Rafiqul Islam, 51, and his son Mahiqul, 16, died, while two other members of the family are recovering in the mystery poisoning.

The family of five travelled from Riverside, Cardiff, to visit relative in the Sylhet region of Bangladesh before the tragedy

Police say they were found collapsed after a family meal - with tests being carried out over a suspicion of poisoning either in the heating system or in the food.

Samira's brother Sadiqul, 24, and her mother Husnara Begum, 40, were also in the flat but have since been released from hospital.

Police said Husnara and Sadiqul had told them there was a faulty electricity generator in the property which was to be used in emergencies.

Mourners gather for the burial of the father and son in Bangladesh on July 28 while other family members remained in hospital

Mourners gather for the burial of the father and son in Bangladesh on July 28 while other family members remained in hospital

Samira Islam, 20, has died in hospital 11 days after her father and brother were found dead in their rented holiday apartment

Samira Islam, 20, has died in hospital 11 days after her father and brother were found dead in their rented holiday apartment

Local reports say it was used the night of the incident on July 26 due to a power cut.

Supt Farid Uddin said police visited the property with Husnara and Sadiqul, and said that when the generator was running it pumped out smoke.

He added that this could have caused the family to be suffocated and samples had been sent to a laboratory for analysis.

It had previously been reported that the father and son allegedly found with brown and blue liquids inside their nose after police broke down the door of the flat.

It then emerged that the family of five had bought burgers and juice from a nearby Taipur market which they ate together before falling

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Wednesday 17 August 2022 01:16 PM The ULTIMATE A-Level Results Day Guide: What time are results released? Your ... trends now
NEXT Wednesday 17 August 2022 01:25 PM Infected blood scandal victim says compensation payments should also go to ... trends now