Monday 26 September 2022 01:20 AM Optus executive fails to answer questions about data breach that affects 11 ... trends now
An Optus executive has been left red-faced after claiming on live radio that every customer affected by Australia's biggest ever cyber attack had been notified - only for a victim to ring in and claim she hadn't been told.
An estimated 11.2million Optus customers' personal addresses, dates of birth, phone numbers, passport details and drivers licences may have been compromised in last week's data breach.
A mysterious hacker who claims to be behind the breach has since demanded Optus hand over $1.5million in ransom money in the form of cryptocurrency Monero, or they will publish the data.
On Monday, Sally Oelerich - the telco's director of corporate affairs for regulatory and public affairs - dialled into the 2GB Breakfast program and said: 'For customers who've had their data compromised because of this attack we've now informed them'.
But customer Casey Robinson then phoned in, reporting her husband's account had been hacked and personal details such as his phone number compromised as early as September 12.
Optus Director of Corporate Affairs Regulatory and Public Affairs Sally Oelerich was left red faced when she told 2GB's Chris Smith all effected Optus customer had been contacted by the telco - only for a woman to ring in and say that wasn't the case
A mysterious hacker who claims to be behind the breach has since demanded Optus hand over $1.5million in ransom money in the form of cryptocurrency Monero, or they will publish the data
When Mr Smith asked if the telco had been in touch with Ms Robinson, she said they had reached out to Optus themselves.
'You have not been informed by Optus what you should do with your accounts?' the radio host said.
'Not at all, not one email,' Ms Robinson replied.
Mr Smith then put the question to Ms Oelerich.
'You said you've contacted everyone who you've thought have had their data compromised?' he said.
2GB radio host Chris Smith fired off several