Parents demand DNP 'diet' pills are banned after daughter dies in agony trends now
A couple who watched their daughter die in agony after taking 'toxic' diet pills have demanded the 'heinous' drugs are banned.
Bethany Shipsey, 21, died on February 15, 2017, following a cardiac arrest just two days after taking Ukrainian 'fat-burning' tablets containing Dinitrophenol (DNP).
Her horrified parents Doug, 58, and Carole, 63, said she was left 'gasping for breath, like a marathon runner after the last sprint' before she died. Now the pair have demanded Whitehall toughens its stance on the drug and bans it entirely.
'It is clear to all those of us who have lost loved ones to this heinous chemical substance, that the UK Government have more than demonstrated, they are totally incapable of being entrusted, to regulate and control such a deadly toxic Poison, as 2,4 Dinitrophenol,' they said.
Bethan Shipsey, 21, died on February 15, 2017, two days after taking Ukrainian 'fat-burning' diet pills containing Dinitrophenol (DNP)
Her heartbroken parents Doug, 58, and Carole, 63 (pictured above), have now demanded Britain bans DNP outright
The pair's comments came ahead of a meeting with security minister Tom Tugendhat on Monday where they sought to argue their case to outlaw DNP.
The drug is sold illegally as a weight-loss supplement and can cause organ failure and be fatal.
From October 1 this year, it will be classified as a poison but will still be legal to sell under certain circumstances.
Anyone wanting to buy it, or products that contain it, must do so through a registered pharmacist.
Despite DNP being added to the list of regulated poisons under the Poisons Act 1972, Bethany's parents are demanding an outright ban.
Father Doug said it was a 'step in the right direction' but insisted the legislation did not go far enough.
'We want to go for an outright ban because, during the years since we lost Beth, we can’t find any legitimate industrial uses — which is why the government has been saying for all these years that it’s still legal to sell DNP,' reported The Times.
Bethany’s mother, Carole, added: 'We’ve lost one of the most precious things in our lives. And it’s really difficult because you watch her friends and within her peer group they’re getting married and having babies and she should really be part of that.'
The couple, from Worcester, told how they watched in horror as Bethany died in agony as the pills burned her from the inside out.
Carole, a nurse, said: 'Bethany was bolt up right in bed, leaning forward, breathing faster than normal.
'She said "I can't see properly". Her heart rate kept going up in increments and never did come back down again.'
Bethany suffered a cardiac arrest and had been left 'gasping for breath, like a marathon runner after the last sprint' before she died
Parents Carole and Doug were due to meet with security minister Tom Tugendhat to lobby the MP to do more to ban DNP - which, despite being registered as a legal poison, can still be purchased legally through a pharmacist
The couple begged