Mackay baby Amity Buchanan in induced coma in Brisbane after swallowing a ... trends now
A Queensland hospital has been accused of failing to detect a button battery lodged in a one-year-old girl's throat, leaving her in an induced coma suffering from internal burns to her oesophagus.
Parents Daniel Buchanan and Jemma Gultzow rushed their daughter Amity to Mackay hospital, after suspecting that she had swallowed a polystyrene bean on Monday afternoon while she was vomiting and choking.
A doctor checked Amity over with a stethoscope before sending the little girl home without an X-ray, with her parents led to believe she had a stomach bug.
Back home, Amity's condition continued to deteriorate, so they took her to the GP, who told them to go straight to the emergency room,
'We were given a referral from our GP, and we presented to the triage in emergency, and we were told to sit down,' Ms Gultzow told Sunrise on Thursday.
'We were standing at the doors thinking they would come straight away, but we were waiting and waiting and waiting.
'We kept having to fight and fight for her to have any type of X-ray or care.'
Mackay toddler Amity Buchanan swallowed a button battery earlier this week
Doctors in the emergency room finally took an X-Ray of the little girl, and a battery was found lodged in her throat.
By then, the lodged battery caused an 8cm acid burn in Amity's throat. She was rushed to Townsville Hospital for a two-hour operation to remove it before being airlifted to Brisbane Hospital.
Amity was placed in an induced coma, and is being fed through a tube.
Mr Buchanan says his little girl could have avoided all the suffering had the X-ray