Surry Hills fire: Pets, medication and wedding dress rescued from nearby units ... trends now
Beloved pets, much-needed medication and even a wedding dress were saved by firefighters and police officers from unit blocks after a huge fire tore through a nearby building.
Residents living in surrounding apartments of a seven-storey heritage-listed building on the corner of Randle St and Elizabeth Street in Surry Hills, near Sydney's Central Station, were evacuated on Thursday afternoon after it went up in flames.
The building burst into flames about 4pm and much of it, including the roof, had collapsed by 6pm.
With nearby apartment blocks under threat, residents had to flee their homes as more than 100 firefighters worked to get the blaze under control at the 111-year-old former hat factory, which had been left derelict and unoccupied.
Fire and Rescue NSW Acting Commissioner Jeremy Fewtrell said a number of pets including cats, dogs and rabbits were rescued.
One resident who lived in a unit block near the building that caught on fire in Surry Hills thanked emergency services for rescuing his cat
The building near Sydney's Central Station burst into flames about 4pm and much of it, including the roof, had collapsed by 6pm
'As people were evacuated last night we did start to get information from people who