Jean Charles de Menezes' parents are acting as consultants for Disney+ drama ... trends now
The parents of Jean Charles de Menezes are acting as consultants for a Disney+ drama about his final moments before he was mistakenly shot dead by anti-terror police.
The Brazilian's mother Maria and father Matozinho have agreed to participate in the making of Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes, which includes a dramatic recreation of their 27-year-old son's death.
He had been gunned down by Metropolitan Police officers after he was misidentified as a terrorist after jumping the barriers at Stockwell Tube station on July 22, 2005, just two weeks after the 7/7 terror attacks.
Disney says it has brought the electrician's parents onboard to advise producers, while other relatives are thought to have been brought in, including his cousin Vivian Meneses Figueiredo who was de Menezes' flatmate when he was killed.
Vivian, a British citizen who is now married with a daughter, spoke movingly in an interview three years ago about the tragedy as she revealed she was never able to set foot again in the apartment they shared in nearby Tulse Hill.
She also admitted to crossing the road for years after the killing to avoid police, who repeatedly apologised to the victim's family and gave his parents a settlement payout of about £100,000 in 2009.
Jean Charles de Menezes' mother Maria Otone de Menezes, and father Matuzinhos da Silva, have agreed to act as consultants for a Disney+ drama about their son's death. Pictured: The couple outside the Independent Police Complaints Commission in 2005
Jean Charles de Menezes (pictured) was mistakenly shot dead by anti-terror police in Stockwell Tube station on July 22, 2005
An actor portraying the 27-year-old was seen walking outside the same station last month for filming of the drama
The drama Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes, seen here being filmed in London last month, will recreate the moment the electrician was killed
Scenes showing the moments leading up to his death were filmed at Stockwell Tube last month, with actors portraying the Brazilian and undercover police officers seen running into the station.
One witness told MailOnline: 'The Tube station was open that day. People were coming out as actors ran towards the entrance and put on police caps. They may have no idea what was going on. It looked terrifying.'
Transport for London (TfL) told MailOnline filming had been agreed beforehand and, while the station wasn't shut, posters had been put up around and inside the station to inform customers filming was taking place. It added that all actors were unarmed, with no prop weapons, and it had granted permission after families and survivors of the attacks were consulted.
There is already fury amongst 7/7 survivors and families of the dead after Disney+ began filming a new drama series depicting the terror attack. Victims of the four suicide bombings that rocked the capital in July 2005 said the highly realistic sets showed 'a lack of respect' to the 52 killed and the hundreds wounded.
The sets included a replica of the No 30 double decker bus blown up in Tavistock Square. Photographs from the set showed the production team have recreated the shattered bus, along with blood spattered across nearby pavements and upturned bus seats.
Online support groups for survivors of the four suicide bombings linked to the subsequent shooting have been adamant no-one contacted them before filming started.
Survivors of the 7/7 London bombing have described the show, filmed by ITV Studios for the Disney streaming service, as 'shameful.'
It was reported overnight Disney executives, whose highly-realistic sets for the series also including a replica of the shattered No 30 double decker bus with blood spattered across nearby pavements, were deciding whether to axe some scenes because they 'threatened its family friendly image.'
A source told the Sun: 'Nobody seemed to have realised the sensitivity around recreating such horrific events in full view of the public.'
The actor playing Jean Charles walks into Stockwell Tube Station - the same one where he was shot dead on a train on July 22, 2005
In extraordinary scenes filmed two weeks ago, actors playing police sprinted into the station
A witness described seeing men running from cars and towards the station
One actor dons a police cap and gives chase through the streets of London
CCTV still showing Stockwell Station moments before Jean Charles De Menezes was shot
He did not know police were chasing in after him (CCTV of the incident pictured in 2005)
This is the shocking recreation of the bombing of the Number 30 bus (pictured) at Tavistock Square - mocked up in central London