London council U-TURNS on decision to cancel annual Jewish ceremony to mark ... trends now
A London council has backtracked on its decision to cancel a planned Hanukkah ceremony, just 24 hours after warning the event could 'inflame tensions'.
Havering Council announced on Thursday that the annual Menorah lighting ceremony outside the town hall would be 'paused' over concerns that the nine-branch candelabrum would be vandalised.
The move provoked a backlash from leaders of both local Jewish and Muslim communities who expressed 'deep dismay' at the decision.
A joint statement between the council and local Rabbis confirmed the permanent installation would go ahead as planned on December 12, following a 'constructive discussion'.
Leader of Havering Council, Ray Morgon said: 'We had a very constructive meeting to discuss our concerns and I fully appreciate why this is such an important installation for our Jewish community.
Havering Council reversed its decision to cancel a Hanukkah ceremony scheduled to take place later this month after talks with Jewish community leaders
The nine-branched candelabrum is lit during the eight-day Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
The King holding a Menorah while attending a Hanukkah event last year at JW3
Pictured: A large Menorah erected in Trafalgar Square in central London as part of celebrations last year
'We look forward to the completion of the permanent installation and our first Chanukah ceremony.'
The London Jewish Forum said yesterday that the council had shown a 'lack of understanding' and that the announcement had 'undermined' relationships with the community.
Following the council's reversal of its decision, it said: 'The London Jewish Forum thanks the Council for