Duke and Duchess of Sussex are urged to end their 'deafening silence' and speak ... trends now
The Duke and Duchess and Sussex have been told to end their 'deafening silence' after the King himself and his daughter-in-law were named as the royals alleged to have made remarks about the skin colour of Prince Archie.
High profile public figures have rallied in support of the pair after they were named first in a Dutch translation of Scobie's new book, Endgame, and then reported by the BBC on Friday morning morning.
Sources close to the Duchess of Sussex, who allegedly wrote down the names of the two family members in letters to King Charles, have insisted to that she 'never intended them to be publicly identified' and that it 'was not leaked to Mr Scobie by anyone in her camp, the Telegraph reports.
But one source close to the Royal Family insisted Harry and Meghan should speak out on the matter, telling the paper: 'For the couple that talked about 'death by a thousand no comments', the silence at this point is deafening.'
King Charles (pictured at COP28 in Dubai) is said to be considering all options including legal action
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (pictured in Sydney in 2018) have been urged to break their silence as the row continues
Endgame author Omid Scobie (pictured on This Morning on Thursday) has refused to apologise to the royals concerned
Another insider added that the decision not to respond was 'interesting' given the Sussexes' previous complaints about not being supported against negative press stories.
Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called the comments 'not remotely racist' and insisted they were 'entirely innocent and utterly normal' ahead of the birth of a child.
Meanwhile, Sir Trevor Phillips, the former head of the Commission for Racial Equality, called it a 'nonsense story' and said the comments were 'a mark of excitement, I suspect'.
The King is said to be taking the taking the furore over the book 'very seriously' and will consult senior advisers next week on the family's next step, with 'all options' including legal action set to be considered.
The Mail understands that Buckingham Palace has been internally investigating who could have seen the letters from their end.
They are considered so deeply personal that only a 'tiny handful' of people are believed to have seen them and there is 'extreme confidence' that the leak didn't come from them.
It comes as Scobie, appearing on BBC's flagship Newsnight programme, said he was 'hurt' and 'frustrated' by the week's events.
But he refused to apologise to the royals concerned, saying: 'It's not for me to apologise because I still want to know what's happened.' He has previously described it as a 'translation error' but says an 'investigation' has now been launched.
The King (pictured at COP28 in Dubai) is taking the furore over the Omid Scobie book 'very seriously' and will consult senior advisors next week on the family's next step
Scobie, appearing on BBC 's flagship Newsnight programme (pictured), said he was 'hurt' and 'frustrated' by the week's events
The two royals were named in a Dutch-language edition of the ill-reviewed Endgame (pictured) as having been identified by Meghan over claims 'concern' was expressed about her future son's skin colour
Sources close to the Duchess of Sussex , who allegedly wrote down the names of the two family members in letters to King Charles, have insisted to that she 'never intended them to be publicly identified' and that it 'was not leaked to Mr Scobie by anyone in her camp', according to the Telegraph
The King was last night due to arrive back in Britain from Dubai, where he gave a well-received keynote speech at the COP28 climate conference, and head straight for his Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
Aides have been keen for the furore not to derail his big moment but will resume discussions next week as to where they go next.
They have, it is understood, been 'greatly encouraged' by the sympathetic public reaction to Scobie's revelations, which may have a bearing on their final decision.
Although it was billed as a look 'inside the royal family and the monarchy's fight for survival', Endgame's relentlessly savage tone, attacks on the Princess of Wales - whom the author describes as a 'pliable' Stepford wife and a part-time royal because of her devotion to her children - has seen it roundly denounced and attracted a slew of eye-wincingly brutal reviews.
On Newsnight Scobie took the extraordinary step on swearing on 'my family's life' that the leaking of the names was not a 'stunt' to shift more books.
He said he was 'hurt' by the suggestion and dismissed it as a conspiracy theory by people who want to believe he is in 'cahoots' with the Duchess of Sussex.
Aides have been keen for the furore not to derail Charles' big moment at Cop28 but will resume discussions next week as to where they go next
The original claim was made by Meghan Markle in the Sussexes' infamous 2021 Oprah Winfrey interview (pictured) when she revealed there were 'several conversations' between herself, Harry and Royal Family members about 'how dark' Archie would be
Dutch translators Saskia Peeters (left) and Nellie Keukelaar-van Rijsbergern (right) who worked on Omid Scobie's controversial book have insisted the names of two royals at the centre of racism scandal were in the manuscript they were sent
Their claims appear to contradict Scobie's (pictured on This Morning) who has insisted that he did not include the names of the two royals
He claimed, clearly choosing his words carefully: 'I am as frustrated as everyone else. The book I wrote, the book I edited, the book I signed off on, did not have names in it.'
However the Mail revealed this week that one of the two highly experienced translators responsible for the Dutch edition insisted that she had been given a manuscript with 'the names of the royals there in black and white'.
And her co-translator said it was 'unfair' they were being blamed.
Significantly, The Netherlands version also omitted the legal explanation for not naming the royals that was contained in the English-language edition.
Many within the industry believe the only reasonable explanation is that the Dutch publishing house was given an early manuscript before it had been seen by lawyers and signed off.
Newsnight interviewer Victoria Derbyshire told Scobie: 'In some version you must have written the names in and the wrong version has potentially gone to the people in charge of the rights around the world, I suppose.' Scobie did not reply to this point.
He claimed he was still 'proud' of his book.
The alleged racist comments were made about 'concerns' over Prince Archie's skin colour
The inclusion of the names led to 5,000 copies of the book – called 'Final Battle' (pictured) in Holland – being withdrawn from sale on the bookshelves and pulped
Royal insiders have told the Mail that there is complete 'unity' between Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace over their response to the incident, which has been described as deeply 'upsetting'.
There is also immense sadness and anger at what has been described as a 'terrible injustice' for those involved.
King Charles has spent his entire life trying to promote interfaith and cultural harmony and helped thousands of young people, many from disadvantaged and ethnic minority communities, to achieve their potential through his charity the Prince's Trust.
But showing their mettle, the king and the princess have continued with their programme of public engagements and have several commitments lined up for next week, including the recording of Kate's now annual carol service at Westminster Abbey.
Security minister Tom Tugendhat described the claims as 'scuttlebutt' and 'unproven'.
He told Talk TV: 'The king's done a brilliant job for us, not just in the last year since he's been king, but he's been absolutely fantastic for many, many years in arguing in the