'I hit something with a spade...but I didn't know what it was': Father who dug ... trends now

'I hit something with a spade...but I didn't know what it was': Father who dug ... trends now
'I hit something with a spade...but I didn't know what it was': Father who dug ... trends now

'I hit something with a spade...but I didn't know what it was': Father who dug ... trends now

The man who unearthed a 500kg WWII bomb while digging in the back garden of his daughter's home, bringing Plymouth to a standstill, says he was only trying to save his daughter money on her kitchen extension.

Ian Jary, 57, was helping dig foundations for a rear extension in the garden of his daughter Natalie's house in St Michael Avenue in the Devon city when he spotted the huge wartime bomb deep under the soil.

He contacted police at his wife Judy's suggestion after more and more of the large ordnance was exposed over several days, a combination of digging and hard rains washing away detritus to reveal the true nature of the object.

Mr Jary who, ironically, is an undersea drilling expert, said he even hit the potentially deadly bomb with a spade before he knew what it was.

He said he and the builder had been digging deeper and deeper to find hard ground and satisfy the wishes of a building inspector.

Ian Jary, 57, contacted police at his wife Judy’s suggestion (pictured together) after more and more of the bomb was exposed over several days while helping dig foundations for a rear extension

Ian Jary, 57, contacted police at his wife Judy's suggestion (pictured together) after more and more of the bomb was exposed over several days while helping dig foundations for a rear extension

Mr Jary had been digging near his daughter Natalie's house on St Michael Avenue in Plymouth when he spotted the huge wartime bomb deep under the soil

Mr Jary had been digging near his daughter Natalie's house on St Michael Avenue in Plymouth when he spotted the huge wartime bomb deep under the soil

The WW2 German bomb found which was found in the back garden in Plymouth, Devon

The WW2 German bomb found which was found in the back garden in Plymouth, Devon

At first only a very small section of the bomb was revealed and both he and the builder continued to dig around it on the basis that it was nothing more than a old boiler or scrap of metal.

He said even the building inspector did not initially consider the section of metal casing on view to be that of a huge World War Two bomb.

He said his daughter had only lived in the house for a few weeks, adding: 'I've been helping out, doing DIY, sorted out a bedroom for her. We got four rooms replastered and were working on the extension for the kitchen. In all I think we've spent about £15,000 on refurbishing it.

'We've been digging out for the foundations for an extension. Every time we reached what we thought was hard ground the rain would come and we'd find we had to keep digging down.

'We actually found it about a week ago. It was just outside the building line and the building inspector said we needed trench of around 650mm. I hit something with a spade but we weren't sure what it was at first.

'Since then we've had so much rain, the bank collapsed, then there was more rain on Friday and it's been revealed more and more.

'It's about one metre long and half a metre in diameter. We've found a cap and a round circle thread sheared off or broke off.

Mr Jary who, ironically, is an undersea drilling expert, said he even hit the potentially deadly bomb with a spade before he knew what it was

Mr Jary who, ironically, is an undersea drilling expert, said he even hit the potentially deadly bomb with a spade before he knew what it was

An aerial view showing the house where the bomb was discovered on Tuesday

An aerial view showing the house where the bomb was discovered on Tuesday 

At first only a very small section of the bomb was revealed and both Mr Jary and the builder continued to dig around it on the basis that it was nothing more than a old boiler or scrap of metal. Picture shows Mr Jary and wife Judy

At first only a very small section of the bomb was revealed and both Mr Jary and the builder continued to dig around it on the basis that it was nothing more than a old boiler or scrap of metal. Picture shows Mr Jary and wife Judy

Defence bosses have opted to move the bomb intact by military convoy from its location in St Michael's Avenue (top right) travelling to the Torpoint ferry landing (bottom left). A 300-metre cordon (in orange) around 1,200 properties along the route has been issued from 2pm to 5pm

Defence bosses have opted to move the bomb intact by military convoy from its location in St Michael's Avenue (top right) travelling to the Torpoint ferry landing (bottom left). A 300-metre cordon (in orange) around 1,200 properties along the route has been issued from 2pm to 5pm

The enormous 500kg bomb will be transported along this route through Plymouth before hopefully being detonated out at sea

The enormous 500kg bomb will be transported along this route through Plymouth before hopefully being detonated out at sea

Police declared a 'major incident' and created a 200m evacuation zone around the bomb and asked around 3,000 residents to move away for their safety. The zone was later extended to 309 metres

Police declared a 'major incident' and created a 200m evacuation zone around the bomb and asked around 3,000 residents to move away for their safety. The zone was later extended to 309 metres

'By this point my wife said we really should just call the police and alert them. I took photos and sent them off and a sergeant in Exeter rang me in five minutes saying he needed to send them off to EOD.

'Five minutes later there's a knock on the door and police officers asking to have a look. The next minute they're suggesting a cordon with a 200m radius.

'I've been looking at the Plymouth Bombs Map and found red dots around St Michael Avenue area, so there were certainly bombs dropped in this area during the war.

'At last count I saw 15 or 16 police cars around the area and it looks like a major incident. EOD have already arrived and lots of the local residents have been told to leave their homes.'

Police declared a 'major incident' and created a 200m evacuation zone around the bomb and asked around 3,000 residents to move away for their safety. 

It was later extended to 309

read more from dailymail.....

PREV OJ Simpson died owing more than $100MILLION to families of murder victims Ron ... trends now
NEXT Doctors first 'dismissed' this young girl's cancer symptom before her parents ... trends now