Father's horror as 'gas blast' in Bury destroys home next door leaving him ... trends now

Father's horror as 'gas blast' in Bury destroys home next door leaving him ... trends now
Father's horror as 'gas blast' in Bury destroys home next door leaving him ... trends now

Father's horror as 'gas blast' in Bury destroys home next door leaving him ... trends now

A father has told of his horror after a 'gas blast' destroyed his home and left him fearing his family would die in the fire. 

The suspected gas explosion occurred on Nelson Street in Fishpool, Bury, today and has ruined multiple terraced houses, along with a car. 

A 70-year-old woman has been seriously injured and nearby St Luke's Primary School in Bury was forced to shut down, with parents taking their children home early. 

Mushtaq Anwar, his wife, his daughter, 21, and son, 17, live next door to the house that went up in flames and said they thought they were going to die.

They heard a 'loud explosion' at 11.05am, when most of the family was upstairs in the house and tried to escape out of the front door but found it was barricaded by bricks.

Was your child at the school? Email: [email protected] 

Mushtaq Anwar (pictured), his wife, his daughter, 21, and son, 17, live next door to the house that went up in flames and said they thought they were going to die

Mushtaq Anwar (pictured), his wife, his daughter, 21, and son, 17, live next door to the house that went up in flames and said they thought they were going to die

Aerial pictures show the extent of the damage to the house and emergency services at the scene following an explosion in Nelson Street

Aerial pictures show the extent of the damage to the house and emergency services at the scene following an explosion in Nelson Street

A car parked on the street was destroyed by the suspected gas blast

A car parked on the street was destroyed by the suspected gas blast 

Footage shows the house, just yards away from the school, engulfed in flames. Bury Council told residents on the street to keep their windows closed due to the amount of smoke

Footage shows the house, just yards away from the school, engulfed in flames. Bury Council told residents on the street to keep their windows closed due to the amount of smoke

Emergency services are pictured at the scene of the fire

Emergency services are pictured at the scene of the fire 

Around three ambulances and six fire engines were in attendance as crews worked to tackle the fire

Around three ambulances and six fire engines were in attendance as crews worked to tackle the fire

A firefighter is pictured tackling the blaze of a suspected gas explosion

A firefighter is pictured tackling the blaze of a suspected gas explosion 

Students and staff were evacuated from St Luke's Primary School in Bury, with the suspected explosion at a property on Nelson Street in Fishpool

Students and staff were evacuated from St Luke's Primary School in Bury, with the suspected explosion at a property on Nelson Street in Fishpool

A firefighter was lifted into the air and hosed down the flames

A firefighter was lifted into the air and hosed down the flames 

Mr Anwar told Manchester Evening News: 'It was like an earthquake. All of the house was shaking and moving up and down. 

'We all ran down towards the front door, but it had collapsed and was blocked by bricks. There was no way out. I thought we were going to die.

'We managed to run out of the back door. As we came out, we saw the wreckage. Within a minute, there was a huge fire coming from next door. 

His Toyota Corolla was crushed by bricks blown out during the blast. 

'I have lost my house and car,' Mr Anwar added. 'I'm a taxi driver so that car is my livelihood. I'm in shock.'

Pictures show clouds of smoke billowing across nearby streets with the red-brick house reduced to rubble, with their wooden roof beams exposed. 

The woman has been rushed to hospital and a police cordon remains around the property and neighbouring houses. 

Footage shows the house, just yards away from the school, engulfed in flames. Bury Council told residents on the street to keep their windows closed due to the amount of smoke. 

Shocked and concerned locals can be seen walking around the street, watching the blaze rip through the terraced property. 

Councillor Tamoor Tariq, who represents Redvales Ward in the Greater Manchester town, said on social

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Heartwarming moment disabled student walks for the first time in 10 years at ... trends now
NEXT While the world feasts over Trump trial, New Yorkers are sick of the circus ... trends now