Wakeley church stabbing: Why counter-terrorism detectives have been kept away ... trends now

Wakeley church stabbing: Why counter-terrorism detectives have been kept away ... trends now
Wakeley church stabbing: Why counter-terrorism detectives have been kept away ... trends now

Wakeley church stabbing: Why counter-terrorism detectives have been kept away ... trends now

The teenage boy who allegedly stabbed a bishop in the middle of a livestreamed sermon is yet to be questioned by police and remains in hospital following extensive surgery.

The 16-year-old, who can't be named for legal reasons, allegedly lunged at Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel, 53, at Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, in Sydney's south-west on Monday night.

Several parishioners who rushed to the bishop's aid were also injured in the incident, as was the alleged attacker who cut off his own finger in the botched attack, which was later declared as a terrorism incident.

The boy was taken to an undisclosed hospital, where he remains under police guard with officers keeping a bedside vigil.

He has undergone surgery to the severed finger, which may require further surgery.

NSW Police Minister Yasmin Catley told Sky News on Wednesday that the boy would not be able to be interviewed by counter-terrorism officers or charged until he was released from care, which may not be for another three or four days.

'Conversations had not yet taken place,' Ms Catley said. 

'He has been through a very long operation.

The teenage boy who alleged stabbed Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel (pictured) has spent his second night in hospital

The teenage boy who alleged stabbed Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel (pictured) has spent his second night in hospital

'He will be co-operating because the police will make sure that he co-operates.'

The minister wouldn't comment whether the teen had been radicalised online but confirmed it will be part of the investigation. 

'And let me tell you, there will be no stone unturned in relation to this investigation,' Ms Catley said.

'Police will go through all of this youth's life with a fine-tooth comb. Any radicalisation, any interactions that he has had in relation to that will all be much better known as the inquiry proceeds and as we get results from the investigation.'

The update comes as it was revealed the teen's family have moved out of their south-west Sydney home to escape the public scrutiny.

'I am aware that the family did seek to move elsewhere – they don't want to be the centre of attention here and nor should they,' NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb told ABC Radio National on Wednesday.

'They've made a decision to move for the time being.'

Commissioner Webb also revealed that some of those

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Boy, six, dies after falling from 15th floor of high-rise tower block in east ... trends now
NEXT Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's daughter Shiloh, 17, shows off her surprise ... trends now