Man, 51, is arrested over the murder of missing schoolgirl

Charlene Downes (pictured) was last seen in Blackpool in November 2003

Charlene Downes (pictured) was last seen in Blackpool in November 2003

A 51-year-old man has been arrested over the murder of a 14-year-old girl feared to have been chopped up for kebab meat in 2003.

Schoolgirl Charlene Downes was last seen 14 years ago after disappearing from her home in Blackpool, Lancashire. 

No trace of her has ever been found but detectives believe her body was chopped up and went 'into kebabs' at a takeaway in the seaside resort.

Last month her parents, Karen and Robert, vowed to sue Lancashire Police after learning crucial CCTV footage of her last movements was sat in archives for 12 years.

But yesterday the force finally announced a major breakout in the case - one of their longest investigations - after arrested a man on suspicion of her murder.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: 'The man, aged 51, who lived in Blackpool at the time of Charlene's disappearance, is currently in custody.

'Charlene was just 14 years old when she was last seen in Blackpool on Saturday November 1 2003.

'A £100,000 reward remains on offer for information leading to the conviction of her killer or killers.

'The investigation is one of the largest and longest running in the history of Lancashire Constabulary.'

Charlene's murder investigation has been dogged by problems ever since in launched.

A 2007 murder trial collapsed because of police errors and the IPCC watchdog ruled the force's blunders mean the killer may never be found.

Police released CCTV footage of Charlene (circled) walking in the seaside town for a BBC Crimewatch appeal earlier this month 

Police released CCTV footage of Charlene (circled) walking in the seaside town for a BBC Crimewatch appeal earlier this month 

Last year a cold case team revisited the investigation and discovered CCTV footage of Charlene walking with her sister Rebecca on the day she vanished.

It was finally released on the 13th anniversary of her disappearance in November and again for a fresh appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch Live Roadshow.

A few weeks ago, her mother said if it had been shown closer to the time she vanished it could have led to vital evidence from witnesses.

She fumed: 'It is unbelievable that they have had that footage all those years and never used it.

'It is an absolute disgrace and an insult to the memory of my dead daughter.

'Maybe If the CCTV was shown at the time I could have got

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Deputy PM forced to deny sleaze claims