Star of MTV's Siesta Key linked to shark dragging video

Siesta Key star Alex Kompothecras, 22, (above) has been blasted for his friendship with Michael Wenzel who was allegedly filmed dragging a shark by its fin last week 

Siesta Key star Alex Kompothecras, 22, (above) has been blasted for his friendship with Michael Wenzel who was allegedly filmed dragging a shark by its fin last week 

MTV was forced to cancel the premiere party for its new reality show Siesta Key after one of its stars was bombarded with death threats over a viral video which allegedly shows one of his friends dragging a shark by a fin on his boat. 

Alex Kompothecras is among young Floridians who appear in the reality show. Over the weekend, he was named on social media as a friend of Michael Wenzel, one of three men who allegedly filmed themselves dragging the shark by its fin last week.

No charges have been brought by but the video is being investigated by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. 

Afterwards, the men posed for vile, graphic photographs on board with the shark's mutilated carcass.  Experts said they believed the shark was alive at the time of the dragging because it did not look stiff. 

Though 22-year-old Kompothecras is not believed to be in the offending video, animal activists claimed he is guilty of other cruelty to animals.  

The shark was violently dragged through the boat's wake by its fin in the disturbing footage

The shark was violently dragged through the boat's wake by its fin in the disturbing footage

The shark was violently dragged through the boat's wake by its fin in the disturbing footage

Siesta Key, MTV's newest reality show, canceled a premiere party that was schedule to take place in Sarasota, Florida, on Monday because of the controversy. The show's cast members are pictured 

Siesta Key, MTV's newest reality show, canceled a premiere party that was schedule to take place in Sarasota, Florida, on Monday because of the controversy. The show's cast members are pictured 

Kompothecras did not respond to DailyMail.com's questions over the video on Tuesday.

Rolling Stone reports that he tweeted his defense of his friendship with Wenzel but later removed it.

In the tweet, he said: 'I had absolutely nothing to do with the shark video. 

The men posed with the shark's carcass on social media afterwards 

The men posed with the shark's carcass on social media

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Internet BASHES news that Kylie Jenner is pregnant 
NEXT One in three nurseries could shut in a year