Wanted: Police believe Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, was at the wheel of the van which killed 13 people and injured more than 100 in the heart of Barcelona's tourist district on Thursday
A terror suspect who evaded police in the aftermath of Thursday's attack in Barcelona is now believed to have been the van driver who killed 13 pedestrians in Las Ramblas.
Spanish police are searching for 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, who they are increasingly sure was at the wheel of the rented vehicle which mowed down innocent victims at the popular tourist spot.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Abouyaaqoub, who was part of a terror cell which originally planned to fill a lorry with explosives before carrying out the attack in Barcelona.
A further two terrorists could also be on the loose, La Vanguardia reports, but this is unconfirmed.
Investigators originally thought 17-year-old Moussa Oukabir, who rented two vans linked to the atrocity using documents stolen from his older brother, had been at the wheel.
Oukabir, from the town of Ripoll, 60 miles north of Barcelona, was gunned down along with four other jihadists in the early hours of Friday morning at the coastal resort of Cambrils.
Also killed were Said Aallaa, 18, and Mohamed Hychami, 24, who were armed with knives and machetes and were wearing what appeared to be suicide belts. The identities of the other two dead jihadis have not been released.
Abouyaaqoub is now the prime suspect for police investigating who the driver was, El Pais reports, but his whereabouts is unknown. Spain's government will decide today whether to raise the country's terror threat level.
Oukabir's mother, Fatima Ouhnine, and sisters Fahima and Hanane are believed to have been taken in for questioning by Spain's anti-terrorist police following a raid on his home today.
This is a common procedure when a terror suspect is identified. Also arrested is Aallaa's brother, Mohamed Aallaa, according to El Pais. So far four suspects have been arrested.
Moussa Oukabir, 17, is thought to have been at the wheel when a rented Fiat van was driven into crowds in the Las Ramblas district of Barcelona on Thursday afternoon
A handcuffed suspect was taken into custody in connection with the attacks in Ripoll today. A large crowd gathered and jeered as the man was led away. He has not been identified
Spanish authorities believe the two attacks were the work of a jihadi terror cell of between eight and 12 individuals.
They were stockpiling canisters of deadly butane gas at an address in Alcanar, 120 miles south of Barcelona, when the house exploded shortly before midnight on Wednesday, killing one and injuring 16. Arrest warrants were issued on Friday for four named individuals, although three of them were later confirmed to be dead.
Suspected terror cell members:
One plotter was killed in an explosion at a home in Alcanar, 120 miles from Barcelona. It is believed plotters were stockpiling deadly butane gas to use in the attack. Another suspect, from the Spanish enclave of Mililla in North Africa, was arrested there
DEAD: Moussa Oukabir - Believed to have rented the truck used in the Las Ramblas attack. He was among the five killed in Cambrils in the early hours of Friday morning. An arrest warrant for him had earlier been issued.
DEAD: Said Aallaa - The 18-year-old was from the village of Ribes de Freser. He is one of four cell members identified by Spanish police, and his death was confirmed on Friday evening. His brother Mohamed has reportedly been arrested, but it is not known if he was one of the plotters.
DEAD: Mohamed Hychami - The 24-year-old lived in Ripoll, the same town as Oukabir.
WANTED: Younes Abouyaaqoub - Another suspect identified by police, the 22-year-old is also from Ripoll. An arrest warrant has been issued for him, and Spanish police confirmed on Friday evening that he is still at large.
WANTED: Two more, as yet unnamed, suspects are wanted by anti-terror police, La Vanguardia reports.
DEAD: Unnamed - Two jihadists were shot dead in Cambrils in the same incident in which Oukabir, Aallaa and Hychami were killed. Neither of them has been identified.
DEAD: Unnamed - One terror cell member died in an explosion in Alcanar on Wednesday, which has been linked to the two attacks. No details about him have been released. Initial reports suggest a second person could also have died in the blast, although this has not been confirmed. Police wrote on Twitter: 'We work to determine if remains in Alcanar are a second corpse. We are working to determine if biological traces from Alcanar are human.'
ARRESTED: Unnamed - One alleged plotter was taken into custody in Alcanar, where the explosion happened. He is a citizen of Spain's North African enclave of Melilla.
ARRESTED: Two suspects of Moroccan origin. At this stage no further information has been released, but one was pictured being taken into custody in Ripoll.
ARRESTED: Driss Oukabir - The older brother of Moussa, police issued a photo of the 28-year-old in the immediate aftermath of the Barcelona attack, saying he had rented one of the vans connected to the atrocity. He later handed himself in at a police station in Ripoll, claiming Moussa had stolen his ID documents. He denies being part of the terror cell.
Arrested: One of those being questioned by police is Driss Oukabir, whose picture was released in the immediate aftermath of Thursday's atrocity. He later handed himself in to police, claiming his younger brother Moussa had stolen his ID documents in order to rent a van used in the attack
A French security official says Spanish police are looking for a Kangoo utility vehicle rented by suspects in the Barcelona attacks that may have crossed into France.
The official said Spanish police alerted French authorities to the vehicle, rented Thursday in Spain.
The official said French police nationwide are on the lookout for the car, and were given information from Spain about four suspects believed to be on the run.
France's interior minister said his country reinforced police surveillance of what is normally an open border between Spain and France. French officials said Friday evening that no one has been detained so far in the Spanish investigation.
One of the gang died in an explosion at an address in Alcanar, 120 miles south of Barcelona, shortly before midnight on Wednesday.
Canisters of explosive butane gas, as well as plastic explosive TATP - nicknamed Mother of Satan - were found at the home, which was destroyed in the blast.
Had the accidental explosion not happened, police chief Josep Lluis Trapero said, Thursday's attack would have had an even 'bigger scope'.
Police in Catalan believe there may have been a second fatality at the house, stating on Twitter: 'We are working to determine if remains in Alcanar are a second corpse. We are working to determine if biological traces from Alcanar are human.'
Seven-year-old Julian Cadman, who was born in Kent but moved to Australia three years ago, is among those missing since Thursday's atrocity.
His mother, Jom, has been listed as being in a serious condition in hospital.
The youngest victim of the massacre was just three years old.
Also killed in the attack was 42-year-old Jared Tucker, from California, as well as Italians Bruno Gulotta and Luca Russo, Belgian mother Elke Vanbockrijck, 44, and Spaniard Fransisco Lopez Rodriguez, 57.
A three-year-old boy, believed to be Mr Rodriguez' grand-nephew, also died. He was walking with his mother, grandmother, sister and aunt - who was injured trying to save him.
Spaniard Pepita Codina, 75, was killed in the attack, while Ana Maria Suarez, 61, died after being stabbed by terrorists in Cambrils.
Canada's Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau has said one Canadian was killed and four others were injured in Barcelona.
Julian Cadman, seven, who was born in Kent but living in Sydney at the time of the terror attack, is missing. Italian Bruno Gulotta, 35, the father of two young children, was crushed to death on Las Ramblas in Barcelona on Thursday
Luca Russo, 25, an engineer from Venice, in Italy, was also confirmed among the dead. He was on holiday at the time of the attack alongside Marta Scomazzon, who is believed to be his fiancee
Spanish authorities say 57-year-old Francisco Lopez Rodriguez (pictured on Las Ramblas moments before the attack) died on the spot after being hit by ISIS terrorists. He was earlier reported as missing
Heidi Nunes, from California, said online that her husband Jared Tucker, 43, is missing after the pair got separated on Las Ramblas during the attack. Rex Tillerson has confirmed one American death and said the State Department is 'still confirming the deaths and injuries of others', without giving specific details
On Friday police confirmed terrrorists Hychami, 24, and Abouyaaqoub, 22, are from Ripoll, the same small town in the north of Spain as Oukabir, while killed cell member Allaa, 18, was from the nearby village of Ribes de Freser.
Authorities said the two attacks were the work of a terror cell, believed to have had between eight and 12 members, which plotted the atrocity for some time from the house in Alcanar.
One cell member, originally from Spain's North African enclave of Melilla, was arrested in Alcanar.
Trapero said police are working on the theory that the suspects were preparing a different type of attack, using explosives or gas, and that the explosion - which was first blamed on a gas leak - prevented them from carrying out a far more deadly rampage.
Chilling documents found in the wreckage contain details of the planned attack, police have revealed.
Moussa Oukabir's brother Driss Oukabir, 28, was initially named as a suspect but later handed himself in to a police station in Ripoll. He said his brother had stolen his identification documents in order to rent two vans.
One of these was used to mow down innocents in the heart of Barcelona, while the other was found in the town of Vic and is believed to have been intended as a getaway vehicle.
This rented van brought new terror to the streets of Europe when it was driven at speed down a busy street in central Barcelona, killing 13 including a three-year-old boy. Police have suggested the attack then joined in a second attack
The second attack was launched in the resort of Cambrils. Footage has emerged of police bringing the second assault to an end by shooting dead one the attackers. He was hit with several bullets but clambered to his feet, climbed some crash barriers and then walked towards armed officers who had to shoot him again.
Police in Catalonia announced on Twitter early on Saturday morning that they had searched two buses in their hunt for the violent extremists.
The vehicles were searched in Girona and Garrigas, towns in the northwest of Catalonia, but the operation yielded nothing of importance. They provided no further information.
Surveillance video from inside a Barcelona museum captured images of the van used in the fatal attack. The video shows a person with a stroller just barely getting out of the white van's way and other people on the walkway scattering as it barreled down the walkway.
The footage was shot Thursday from a security camera inside the Erotic Museum of Barcelona on an upper floor that pointed toward a window with a view of the promenade.
Museum goers who apparently either heard the van or people outside just after it went by are seen in the images gathering near the window and looking outside.
Moussa, said to be a Spanish national of Moroccan heritage, had previously written about 'killing infidels' in a chilling online post and has not been seen since the first attack took place.
Moussa can be seen smiling and posing in images on his social media accounts, which he also used to air hatred for non-Muslims. He also posted pictures of his dog, a Staffordshire bull terrier called 'Vinny' online.
The teenager, reportedly a resident of Barcelona, posted on social network Kiwi that, if he was king of the world, his first act would be to 'kill the infidels'. Asked where he could never live, he replied: 'The Vatican'.
The student, said to like football and IT, lived with his mother and sisters. Neighbours said his father moved out after the parents separated.
He used social media to rate girls' profile pictures out of 10, guess how old other girls were, and joke that he would shoot someone who lied to him.
The older Oukabir brother, whose identity document is said to have been found in the van used in the attack, was arrested on Thursday and reportedly told police his brother took his passport.
After he and another suspect were detained on Thursday, police arrested a third person, a 34-year-old Moroccan said to be a friend of the brothers, in Ripoll on Friday.
A security expert told the New York Times that police believe two vans were hired using the elder Oukabir brother's ID, after the plotters were unable to hire a larger truck.
Moussa pulling typical teenage poses on social media, where he also posted about hatred for non-Muslims. It is believed he used an ID belonging to his older brother Driss Oukabir, 28, (right) to rent the van used in the attack
An account with Moussa Oukabir's name and photograph posted on social media that, on his first day ruling the world, he would 'kill the infidels' and 'let Muslims follow the religion'
Spanish police are now looking for the teenager in connection with yesterday's attack, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 100
The older brother Driss, who is