offered grieving father $25k after solider's death

The father of a slain US corporal says Donald offered him $25,000 when the President called to offer his condolences but he never followed through.

Chris Baldridge told the Washington Post that he received a phone call from in June shortly after his 22-year-old son Dillon was one of three soliders killed by an Afghan police officer. 

During the 15-minute phone call, Baldridge said offered to send a check for $25,000 and promised that his staff would set up an online fundraising page in Dillon's honor. 

Baldridge said all he received from was a condolence letter. 

Scroll down for video 

Chris Baldridge said he received a call from Donald Trump in June shortly after his 22-year-old son Dillon was one of three soliders killed by an Afghan police officer

Chris Baldridge said he received a call from Donald in June shortly after his 22-year-old son Dillon was one of three soliders killed by an Afghan police officer

'I opened it up and read it, and I was hoping to see a check in there, to be honest,' the father said.

'I know it was kind of far-fetched thinking. But I was like, 'Damn, no check.' Just a letter saying 'I'm sorry.''

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said on Wednesday afternoon that the check had been sent out. 

Dillon was one of three soldiers gunned down in Afghanistan in June by an Afghan police officer

Dillon was one of three soldiers gunned down in Afghanistan in June by an Afghan police officer

'The check has been sent. It's disgusting that the media is taking something that should be recognized as a generous and sincere gesture, made privately by the President, and using it to advance the media's biased agenda,' the statement read. 

's interactions with the bereaved relatives of soldiers killed in action made headlines this week after he claimed to have called every family.  

It further escalated when the mother of an Army sergeant killed in Niger two weeks ago said on Wednesday that , in a call offering condolences, showed 'disrespect' to the soldier's loved ones as they drove to the airport to meet his body.

Sgt. La David Johnson was one of four American military personnel killed nearly two weeks ago whose families had not heard from until Tuesday. 

Rep. Frederica Wilson was sitting beside Johnson's widow Myeshia when called and told her that her husband 'knew what he signed up for' by enlisting.

'It was the wrong thing to say, but that's not the worst part,' Wilson told the ABC.

'He did not even know La David Johnson's name. He kept referring to him as your guy. He never called his name. So that was even more painful.' 

Trump's interactions with the bereaved relatives of soldiers killed in action made headlines this week after he claimed to have called every family 

's interactions with the bereaved relatives of soldiers killed in action made headlines this week after he claimed to have called every family 

Trump denied making the insensitive remark to Johnson's widow, tweeting on Wednesday that the congresswoman 'totally fabricated' it

denied making the insensitive remark to Johnson's widow, tweeting on Wednesday that the congresswoman 'totally fabricated' it

President Trump phoned Myeshia Johnson on Tuesday afternoon to give his condolences over the death of her husband Sgt. La David Johnson

President phoned Myeshia Johnson on Tuesday afternoon to give his condolences over the death of her husband Sgt. La David Johnson

tweeted Wednesday morning that Wilson had 'totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof).'

But Johnson's grieving mother Cowanda Jones-Johnson said: 'President did disrespect my son and my daughter, and also me and my husband.'  

Sgt. La David Johnson, 25, was among the four US troops who were killed in Niger nearly two weeks ago during an ambush

Sgt. La David Johnson, 25, was among the four US troops who were killed in Niger nearly two weeks ago during an

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV NATO apologizes to Turkey over report Erdogan shown as foe
NEXT Deputy PM forced to deny sleaze claims