A Vermont retirement community resident made ricin and tested the deadly toxin on her neighbors by putting it on their food or in beverages over a period of weeks, investigators said.
Betty Miller, 70, told an FBI agent that she wanted to 'injure herself' and was testing the poison's effectiveness on other residents at the Wake Robin senior living facility, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court on Thursday.
Police were called to the senior community in Shelburne on Tuesday after Miller told heath care providers at the UVM Medical Center she had manufactured the ricin and placed it on other residents' food and beverages, the agent said in the complaint.
Betty Miller, 70, admitted to testing self-made ricin on residents of the Wake Robin senior living facility in Shelburne, Vermont
Miller told health care providers she made the ricin and placed in other residents' food and beverages and afterwards police were called
The Vermont Health Department says it's aware of one person who likely became ill with ricin poisoning from the deadly toxin found.
But the Health Department said Friday that no one is currently ill with ricin poisoning. Officials say symptoms would have appeared 24 hours after ingesting it.
Miller said she harvested 30 to 40 castor beans from plants growing on Wake Robin's