A townhouse where author Virginia Woolf and her husband started their famous publishing company has gone on the market for £3.25m.
Leonard and Virginia Woolf bought a hand-operated printing press in 1917 and founded Hogarth Press, a company named after their home Hogarth House.
It started as a hobby to distract Virginia from her depression but grew into a successful commercial publisher that printed works by EM Forster and TS Eliot as well as the Woolfs themselves.
The former home of Virginia Woolf where she and her husband started their Hogarth Press publishing company is for sale
The famous previous residents are commemorated on a blue plaque attached to the front wall of the property
Virginia Woolf and her husband Leonard bought the magnificent property in 1915 and established their company in 1917
The home where it all started in Richmond, Surrey, has now been divided into two luxurious townhouses and the left-hand one, Leonard House, is being sold by estate agents Knight Frank.
The couple bought the 1750 house in 1915.
Virginia's first novel, The Voyage Out, was published that year but it left her physically and men-tally exhausted and she suffered an extreme bout of mental illness.
Leonard was looking for a hobby to act as a distraction for his wife from her writing and depression. They bought a small printing press for £19 5s 5d and set it up in their drawing room.
The first thing they published was a pamphlet called Two Stories with The Mark on the Wall by Virginia and Three Jews by Leonard.
Within five years they had published works by TS Eliot, EM Forster and Sigmund Freud, as well as their own writings.
The business was based at Hogarth House until 1924. It grew into a large commercial company publishing 527 titles in 29 years.
Hogarth Press is now part of publishing giant Penguin Random House.
Despite being built in 1790, the property has been completely modernised inside with this amazing kitchen
In the 1930s, the townhouse was divided into offices but were reunited in the 1970s. A property developer divided the house in two, with one section named Leonard House and the other called Virgina House accessible through a communal entrance
The house has 3,603 square feet of accommodation spread over four floors including four bedrooms and three bathrooms
The property also features a landscaped courtyard designed by Chelsea award-winner Heather Appleton
Leonard and Virginia moved to Tavistock Square in 1924 and the house was divided into offices in the 1930s.
The two halves were reunited in the 1970s before a developer bought the property in 2012 and got permission to divide it back into two townhouses.