A church has refused to hand over the majority of $100,000 it raised for three members of a family who spent two weeks in comas after eating contaminated boar.
St Thomas Marthoma Church, located in New Zealand, has asked the family to provide evidence of what a previous amount of $42,520 given to them was used for before they release the rest of the funds.
Vice-president of the church, Naveen Eapen, said the family have an obligation to show how the money was spent to those who donated, according to the New Zealand Herald.
Paramedics found Shibu Kochummen, 35, his wife Subi Babu, 32, and his mother Alekutty Daniel, 62, unconscious in their home in Putaruru, New Zealand, last month.
A family (pictured) left paralysed after eating contaminated wild boar have been dealt a fresh blow, with claims insurance will not cover their hospital bill
Doctors feared the three would be paralysed for life, but they woke from a vegetative state two weeks after consuming meat from a boar they killed during a hunting trip.
The boar meat consumed by the family members was suspected to have contained botulism, however, this was later ruled out and the toxin remains unknown.
'We've said look we don't have any evidence of what the fund is being used for but what is remaining is to be transferred to the children's name so it's just going to be used for the kids, for their long-term future,' Mr Eapen said of the funds.
'We've even gone to the Charities Commission to ask if there's any responsibility for us to ensure what the fund is used for,' he said.
'Our challenge is if people come in and ask what is the money being used for, we don't have any evidence of anything.'
Mr Kochummen and Ms Daniel can walk again using a