Plague: Dramatic images show emergency paramedic staff in anti-contamination suits on a flight (Image: The Siberian Times)
Plane passengers were met by workers in white anti-contamination suits after fears the flyers had come into contact with a couple who died after contracting bubonic plague. The couple - who leave their four children orphaned - became ill after hunting and eating contaminated marmot, a large species of squirrel, in Mongolia. Bubonic plague is a highly contagious bacterial disease which is spread by fleas which live on wild rodents. The plague can kill an adult in less than 24 hours if not treated in time, according to the World Health Organisation.
Plane passengers quarantined and tourists stranded after Mongolia BUBONIC PLAGUE outbreak
Urgent measures were put into place after the man, 38 - named only as Citizen T - and his pregnant wife, 37, died in April.
To prevent the infection spreading, around 158 people believed to have come into contact directly or indirectly with the couple were put under medical supervision.
Dramatic images show emergency paramedic staff in anti-contamination suits on a landed flight from Bayan, Ulgii and Khovd, Mongolia, to the country's capital of Ulaanbaatar.
Some of the passengers were examined in a special facility at the airport.
Eleven flyers from the west of Mongolia were immediately sent to the hostel for checks.
Bayan-Ulgii province's emergency management department said: “Preliminary test results show that bubonic plague likely caused the