The US has escalated its military personnel in the gulf (Image: GETTY)
The Pentagon has released new photos officials said show members of Tehran's Revolutionary Guard were responsible for attacks on two oil tankers in the strategic Strait of Hormuz. US Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan said: ”In response to a request from the US Central Command for additional forces, and with the advice of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and in consultation with the White House, I have authorised approximately 1,000 additional troops for defensive purposes to address air, naval, and ground-based threats in the Middle East. The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behaviour by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region.
"United States does not seek conflict with Iran."
Washington is preparing to send additional troops to the Middle East in response to mounting concerns over Iran, which Washington blames for attacks on oil tankers last week, two US officials said on Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
US Central Command said: “Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine.”
The build up of troops in the Middle East by the US would be in addition to the 1,500 troop increase announced last month in response to tanker attacks in May that were also blamed on Iran.
READ MORE:Iran break uranium limit NEXT WEEK destroying nuclear deal
US military versus that of Iran's military (Image: Express)
US concerns about the