Brexit LIVE: Boris WINS! No deal legal challenge dismissed in Belfast court - ...

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

Lord Justice Bernard McCloskey delivered his ruling at Belfast High Court this morning on three joined cases against the Prime Minister’s handling of the UK’s scheduled exit from the European Union. The three challenges argued a no deal Brexit on October 31 would undermine agreements involving the UK and Irish Governments. The Government rejected that contention during two days of legal proceedings in the High Court.

Related articles
Nigel Farage stuns 'petty' Boris Johnson in brutal attack
Lord drops stunning point in fiery outburst over Remainer hypocrisy

During the verdict Lord Justice Bernard McCloskey described the case as “inherently and unmistakably political to be beyond plausible dispute”.

In his written judgment, the judge said: "I consider the characterisation of the subject matter of these proceedings as inherently and unmistakably political to be beyond plausible dispute.

"Virtually all of the assembled evidence belongs to the world of politics, both national and supra-national.

"Within the world of politics the well-recognised phenomena of claim and counterclaim, assertion and counter-assertion, allegation and denial, blow and counter-blow, alteration and modification of government policy, public statements, unpublished deliberations, posturing, strategy and tactics are the very essence of what is both countenanced and permitted in a democratic society."

boris johnsonBoris Johnson will find out the verdict from a court ruling in Northern Ireland today (Image: GETTY)

The Good Friday Agreement signed on April 10, 1998, helps to enable cross-border co-operation between the two nations.

Yesterday in a separate legal challenge, Scotland’s highest civil court ruled Mr Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament was “unlawful”.

Three senior Scottish judges concluded it had been done with “the purpose of stymying Parliament”.

The UK Government said it was “disappointed” by the decision and would be appealing to the UK’s Supreme Court.

Follow Express.co.uk for live Brexit updates:

Related articles
MEPs to scupper no deal trade deal: Unless UK coughs up £39bn
Boris Johnson furiously denies lying to Queen over prorogation

1.20pm update: 1.5 million people apply to stay in the UK after Brexit

More than 1.5 million people have now applied to remain in the UK after Brexit under the Government's EU Settlement Scheme, the Home Office has said.

Official figures showed 299,000 nationals and their family members from the EU, the European Economic Area and Switzerland submitted applications during August.

It took the total submitted by the end of last month to 1,339,600.

However, the Home Office said its internal figures showed the total had since risen to more than 1.5 million.

Home Office Minister Brandon Lewis said: "We've been crystal clear - EU citizens are our friends and neighbours, and we want them to stay in the UK.

“I am delighted that over 1.5 million people have already applied."

12.25pm update: EU President caves in on Irish backstop

The European Union has showed its first signs of caving in on the controversial Irish backstop following huge pressure by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

President of the European Parliament, David Sassoli has said the bloc is willing to revert to a Northern Ireland only backstop.

Under the terms of Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement, the backstop - aimed at preventing a hard borden on the Island of Ireland - currently ties the whole of the UK into the single market and customs union.

Mr Sassoli said: “We are willing to go back to the original EU proposal... which is that a backstop will only be provided for Northern Ireland.”

brexit newsPresident of the European Parliament has proposed an alternative to the current backstop (Image: REUTERS)

12.00pm update: EU chief opens door for Brexit talks

President of the European Parliament David Sassoli has opened the door for Prime Minister Boris Johnson to strike a deal with the European Union.

Mr Sassoli said: “We’re not ruling anything out.

“If solutions are proposed they will be debated, all of them, provided they respect the guiding principles of the EU.

“But up to now I can say the UK hasn’t proposed any alternatives, anything that’s been legally credible and workable.”

11.30am update: Northern Ireland Judge dismisses legal challenge against no deal

Boris Johnson has received a huge Brexit boost after a legal challenge that argued the Government's Brexit strategy will damage the Northern Ireland peace process was dismissed.

Lord Justice Bernard McCloskey delivered his ruling at Belfast's High Court on Thursday morning on three joined cases against Prime Minister Boris Johnson's handling of the UK's departure from the European Union.

The trio of challenges contended that a no-deal Brexit on October 31 would undermine agreements involving the UK and Irish governments that were struck during the peace process and which underpin cross-border co-operation between the two nations.

Lord Justice Bernard McCloskey said: "I consider the characterisation of the subject matter of these proceedings as inherently and unmistakably political to be beyond plausible dispute.

"Virtually all of the assembled evidence belongs to the world of politics, both national and supra-national.

"Within the world of politics the well-recognised phenomena of claim and counterclaim, assertion and counter-assertion, allegation and denial, blow and counter-blow, alteration and modification of government policy, public statements, unpublished deliberations, posturing, strategy and tactics are the very essence of what is both countenanced and permitted in a democratic society."

10.50am update: Boris denies lying to the Queen over suspending parliament

Boris Johnson has denied lying to the Queen over the suspension of Parliament, insisting such claims were "absolutely not" true.

Yesterday a Scottish court ruled advice given by ministers to the Queen which led to the five-week prorogation was "unlawful”.

When asked whether he lied to the Queen, Mr Johnson said: "Absolutely not”.

The Prime Minister added: "The High Court in England plainly agrees with us but the Supreme Court will have to decide.

"We need a Queen's Speech, we need to get on and do all sorts of things at a national level."

He added: "Parliament will have time both

read more.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV No jail time for drug-using model blasted by judge for looking bored mogaznewsen
NEXT Ireland spoil Gatland's Cardiff farewell and offer gift to All Blacks mogaznewsen