PUBLISHED: 08:32, Tue, Dec 3, 2019 | UPDATED: 10:30, Tue, Dec 3, 2019
Passengers travelling on a recent British Airways flight faced potential danger after one traveller’s electronic tablet is reported to have "got on fire" sending smoke into the cabin. The incident happened as the flight was coming into land at London’s Heathrow airport. Formula E World Champion Lucas di Grassi took to Twitter to document the situation, and urge passengers to consider safety when travelling with their electronic devices.
According to a video posted to Twitter, the situation occurred when a passenger’s electronic tablet became lodged between two seats as they were pushed back into upright position.
The flight was on its way into land when the device began to smoke.
Luckily, British Airways staff on board the plane are said to have acted “quite quick” and diverted the situation from danger.
However, Lucas urged passengers to consider the dangers that flying with electronic devices can pose.
READ MORE: Flight warning: Never wear this item of clothing or risk being banned [INSIGHT]
Travel warning: One passenger's tablet began to smoke on a recent BA flight (Image: Getty Images)
The video was recorded as Lucas is walking through Heathrow airport, having arrived safely.
He explains: “Just landed in Heathrow and today was not a pleasant flight at all. “Somebody left his tablet inside the seat and then while the putting the seat back to upright position got the tablet pierced or bent and it got on fire and as we know and as we learned lithium batteries are very delicate and if they are pierced they get on fire.
“It released a lot of smoke into the plane and it was not a very good experience so the people from BA reacted quite quick. Nothing else happened and there was no extra problem, but don’t forget to keep an eye on your tablet and keep an eye on your phone when you are flying.
“With more and more electronic devices this is absolutely important for the safety of everybody.” [SIC]