Girl getting inoculated with an Ebola vaccine (Image: PAMELA TULIZO/AFP via Getty Images)
Health officials have warned that the rise in violence in the central African nation was hampering the Ebola response, stressing that the retreating virus was likely to resurge. MSF said that on Tuesday evening a group wielding machetes and sticks entered its Biakato Health Centre, where it also runs an Ebola treatment centre. But there were no casualties and the group did not manage to get into the Ebola facility, it said. A separate group armed with the same weapons later tried but failed to enter an MSF compound in Biakato Mines. The NGO said they hurled stones at the building but did not cause any damage.
“Due to a deterioration in the security situation, MSF made the difficult decision to withdraw all non-local staff from the Biakato region,” the aid group said in a statement.
MSF is the latest aid agency to pull its staff from DR Congo’s Biakato region, after militia fighters killed four people and injured several others in attacks on two Ebola response centres last week.
That attack prompted the World Health Organisation (WHO) to withdraw its staff from the violence-racked area.
Jean-Jacques Muyembe, the head of the Ebola response across DR Congo, warned last week that the attacks were hobbling efforts to contain the deadly epidemic, which has been raging across the country since August 2018.
“It is a blow to