The Princess of York, 31, is set to tie the knot with Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, 37, in a low-key ceremony attended by close family and pals at St James’s Palace on May 29. While Prince Andrew’s friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein is set to overshadow Bea’s big day, the not-so-small matter of Megxit could also put a dampener on her spring nuptials. After the Queen, 93, banned her grandson and his American wife from using the word “royal” to promote themselves as they embark on their new life, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex hit back in a lengthy “update” posted on their website.
Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, appeared to single out the Duke’s cousins Beatrice and Eugenie, 29.
They said: “While there is precedent for other titled members of the royal family to seek employment outside of the institution, for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.”
Many commentators saw the post as a slight dig at the York sisters, both of whom have jobs.
The “review period” was a reference to the year-long transition period which will take effect on April 1 when Harry and Meghan will no longer be official working members of the royal family.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry pictured at Canada House in London (Image: GETTY)
Princess Beatrice is seen behind the Sussexes on Christmas Day (Image: GETTY)
Eugenie works as a director of an art gallery while her older sister is employed by a tech start-up.
While neither carry out official engagements on behalf of the Queen, they do attend charity events and big celebrations for the Royal Family.
A source close to Beatrice and Edoardo said while every royal had been told about the date in advance, the couple are unsure if Harry and Meghan will accept the invitation.
READ MORE: Princess Beatrice wedding: Will Meghan Markle and Harry be there?
Prince Harry is seen laughing with Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice (Image: GETTY)