With just weeks to go until the couple’s break for freedom, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are faced with the task of finding an extra £20million-a-year to keep themselves and little Archie safe. Last week the couple’s plans for a more independent life away from the confines of the royal family hit a bump in the road. The Canadian government said it would strip the Sussexes of their publicly-funded security protection “in the coming weeks”.
Harry, Meghan and their tot have enjoyed the protection of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) since arriving in the Great White North late last year to celebrate Christmas.
Royal expert Marlene Koenig says the couple will likely follow in the footsteps of Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie when it comes to finding a way to pay the bills in the future.
The York sisters’ lavish lifestyles are largely funded by Prince Andrew.
Ms Koenig predicted the couple would turn to the Prince of Wales when it comes to the question of who would foot the hefty bill.
Meghan and Harry may ask Charles to foot their security bills from now on (Image: GETTY)
Harry and Meghan will have to pay millions of pounds every year for security (Image: GETTY)
She said: “I love how some think Sussexes are entitled to protection because they are royal.
“A position in the line of succession does not mean you are entitled to protection.
“But if you are not a working royal you are not entitled to taxpayer-funded protection.
“Precedent York girls do not have taxpayer-funded.
READ MORE: Prince George and Princess Charlotte school in coronavirus scare
Meghan and Harry will make their first joint appearance since January at an event on Wednesday (Image: GETTY)
“Other Royals are protected only during their engagements.
“I want the Sussex is to be successful on their own merits but they want the protection it should be on their dime.”
She added: “Most likely the bank of dad will be funding the security in the short term which is not financial independence.
“I am fond of H&M but in order to be