PUBLISHED: 04:25, Thu, Sep 10, 2020 | UPDATED: 04:25, Thu, Sep 10, 2020
China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has sent a battalion of troops to two disputed regions amid growing tensions with India. Troops have been sent to Rechin La, with another two groups of forces sent to Spangur Lake Indian news site DNA has claimed. The movements are said to have taken place on September 1.
Tensions in the area rose in June when 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a violent clash with Chinese forces.
It is unknown how many casualties on the Chinese side resulted from the incident.
This week, China accused Indian forces of firing warning shots across the border.
Indian border security guard a highway towards Leh (Image: Tauseef Mustafa / AFP / Getty)
A statement issued by China claimed its troops had been “forced to take an emergency response to stabilise the situation,” though details of the response were not given.
Spokesman Zhang Shuili accused India’s troops of “a serious military provocation”.
India denied this had happened, and went on to claim Chinese forces had fired shots into the air in a stand-off in the Ladakh area.
India said, according to Asian News International: “At no stage has the Indian army transgressed across the LAC or resorted to use of any aggressive means, including firing.”
READ: South China Sea: Beijing and US face off at Asian summit as Pompeo lashes out at 'bullies'
Indian troops moving along a highway bordering China (Image: Yawar Nazir / Getty)
“Despite grave provocation, our own troops exercised great restraint and behaved in a mature and responsible manner.
“We are committed to maintaining peace and tranquillity,