PUBLISHED: 03:28, Mon, Nov 2, 2020 | UPDATED: 04:48, Mon, Nov 2, 2020
A law enforcement official has claimed crews will begin construction of the large fence tomorrow, the US’ NBC News reports. It will be large enough and designed in such a way as to prevent people from climbing over it and entering the White House grounds.
The fence will altogether encompass the White House complex as well as Ellipse and Lafayette Square, according to an NBC reporter.
Geoff Bennett, NBC News reporter, said on Twitter: “250 National Guardsmen have been put on standby, reporting to Metro Police officials.”
The news comes amid concerns there could be nationwide unrest across the US this week following the result of the divisive presidential election between incumbent Donald Trump and Democrat rival Joe Biden.
In September, the National Guard Bureau formed a new unit made up of military police which could be used as a rapid response force.
Analysts said only a week ago the force could be used to help crack down on civil unrest following the US election.
Wayne Hall, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau, told The Independent: “A National Guard regional response unit was created to quickly provide additional military police to state or territory to augment their own responding units.”
READ: TikTok ban: Trump administration launches into ROW with judges over executive order
A view of the White House (Image: Robert Alexander / Getty)
Typically, National Guard forces are mobilised within each state, with the governor of that state having the power to call upon them for actions such as crowd control or curfew enforcement.
On Monday last week, the