PUBLISHED: 08:30, Tue, Nov 3, 2020 | UPDATED: 08:30, Tue, Nov 3, 2020
William, 38, tested positive for coronavirus in April, it has recently emerged, just weeks after his father Prince Charles announced he had been diagnosed with COVID-19. The second-in-line to the throne was hit "pretty hard" by the virus and at one stage struggled to breathe. William is understood to have received treatment from doctors at the Queen’s Anmer Hall residence in Norfolk before beginning a period of self-isolation.
The Duke went on to continue his virtual engagements and even told one source he had not wanted to worry anyone.
Royal experts have since condemned William for not making this information public, with one biographer branding the decision “appalling”.
A subsequent poll of more than 5,000 Express.co.uk readers has found the vast majority believe William was right not to share his positive test.
The survey, which ran between 9.30am on Monday, November 2 and 7.30am on Tuesday, November 3, asked 5,609 Express.co.uk readers whether Prince William was right to keep his COVID-19 diagnosis a secret.
Prince William was right not to disclose his coronavirus positive test, poll finds (Image: GETTY)
Prince William carried out virtual engagements during lockdown (Image: GETTY)
A huge 74 percent (4,226) believed the Duke made the correct call and voted ‘yes’.
Just 23 percent (1,213) of voters said William made the wrong decision and voted ‘no’.
Meanwhile, three percent (170) were unsure and voted ‘don’t know'.
One reader said: “He did the right thing for the country keeping quiet - at the time his father, our next King, was unwell and the thought of both future kings having the virus at the same time might very well have caused serious worry amongst the public.”
A second reader wrote: “I think Prince William did right by not telling the public. In April it was a very scary time country in lockdown deaths rising no one knowing what the virus was.”
Prince William sparked a backlash