Neil Jones, 38, has been a part of the cast of professional dancers since he joined Strictly Come Dancing in 2016. Last year, he was finally given a celebrity partner as he coupled up with footballer and presenter, Alex Scott, 36. However, it was quite a dramatic partnership as the trained dancer sustained an injury, which meant he had to be replaced for a number of weeks. Unfortunately, his run on the BBC dance show hasn’t continued as he isn’t a part of this year’s competitive line-up, instead only featuring in group dances or as a support act for the musical guests.
The professional dancer joined presenter Zoe Ball, 49, on Tuesday’s edition of spin-off show It Takes Two to speak about his participation this year.
With fewer celebrities taking part this year as a result of social distancing measures implemented to combat the spread of coronavirus, it seems this is why he hasn't partnered with a contestant.
Instead, he has formed a close contact cohort bubble with co-star Nancy Xu, 29, so he can still perform in some capacity.
Asking how Neil was feeling about being snubbed from the competitive line-up, the presenter said it was “their loss and our gain,” that he had a new role on the companion programs.
Sharing his take on not competing, the trained dancer said: “We don't all have partners but it doesn't matter.”
READ MORE: Motsi Mabuse sends Strictly fans wild over appearance
Neil Jones speaks out after Strictly Come Dancing line-up snub: 'That's all that matters!' (Image: BBC)
Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Neil Jones spoke on It Takes Two about being missing from this year's line-up (Image: BBC)
“Strictly is still happening and that's all we care about,” he added and viewers shared their optimism over Neil’s new role.
One fan wrote on Twitter: “Flipping love Neil Jones! I really hope he gets a partner next year. He is too good to just be in the group."
Another added: “Neil is brilliant in the choreography corner. Can he be back every week,” whilst a third raged: “Criminal Neil Jones hasn’t got a