Prince Harry 'personally affronted' by claim he turned back on Marines - court ...

PRINCE HARRY accused a British publication of publishing an article which "caused huge damage to his reputation", court documents show.

PUBLISHED: 11:45, Thu, Jan 7, 2021 | UPDATED: 12:59, Thu, Jan 7, 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on PinterestCopy linkLink copied
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s 2020 in review

Prince Harry said to have been "personally affronted" by a story published by the Mail on Sunday which claimed he turned his back to the Royal Marines after stepping down as senior royal in late March 2020. Prince Harry said in papers filed at the High Court he has the "sincere ambition" to keep helping current and former military personnel using the platform he has gained as a result of his service in the Army.

{%=o.title%}

However, this "substantially depends upon [Prince Harry] using his reputation", the court documents claimed.

Any damage to his credibility, the papers also warned, could have an "adverse effect" on those he aims to support.

The Mail on Sunday, which published the article on October 25, has since sent the Duke a written apology over the claim he failed to maintain contact with the Marines.

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Last month, it also published a retraction in print and online, in which it said it had made a donation to Prince Harry's Invictus Games Foundation.

In the apology it published, the Mail on Sunday said that, contrary to the accusation made by a "top general" that the Duke had turned his back on the Royal Marines, it now understood he has been in touch since March "in a private capacity with individuals in the military including in the Royal Marines to offer informal support".

prince harry news mail on sunday royal marines meghan markle court case newsPrince Harry said to have been 'personally affronted' by a story published in October 2020 - court documents (Image: GETTY)

prince harry news mail on sunday royal marines meghan markle court case newsPrince Harry served twice in Afghanistan (Image: GETTY)

It added a claim Harry had failed to reply to a letter from Lord Richard Dannatt, chief of the general staff between 2006 and 2009, was corrected as it emerged he had not initially received the letter and replied when made aware of it.

The court documents were filed in November, before the publication of the retraction, and were made public on Wednesday evening.

The court filing, seen by Newsweek, read: "The claimant has been personally affronted and caused huge damage to his reputation by reason of the publication of the words complained of."

The documents also said: "[Prince Harry's] sincere ambition is to continue to help current and former military personnel by using his reputation and the platform he has as a result of his military service.

"This role substantially depends upon the claimant using his reputation to help such causes by attracting public support for them. 

READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Harry 'skating on thin ice' with royal titles

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

prince harry news mail on sunday royal marines meghan markle court case newsPrince Harry is the founder of the Invictus Games (Image: GETTY)

Related articles

read more.....

PREV Alex Beresford addresses GMB absence from hospital bed after operation 'Pain ...
NEXT RT @WenleiMa: Claudia Karvan talks about her new series Bump, and the fear ...