A woman went into septic shock after a mistake during 'routine' surgery caused her intestines to leak bile that 'ate away her organs'.
Bonnie Judge went under the knife in September last year to clear a blockage in her bowel ahead of having her appendix removed.
However, her inflamed colon caused doctors to accidentally 'nick' her intestine.
Not realising their mistake, medics wheeled the 35-year-old to a recovery ward, where she almost immediately threw up black vomit.
Thinking she had sepsis, they opened her up to find her intestine was leaking and her abdomen was 'in two', which triggered her body to go into septic shock.
Ms Judge - who works at a hotel in Utah - spent several days in an induced coma while her body recovered, only to wake with a 'hole' in her midriff.
Once healed, Ms Judge - who has developed 'PTSD' as a result of the ordeal - is set to go under the knife yet again to reconnect her abdominal muscles.
Bonnie Judge (left before) went into septic shock after a mistake during 'routine' surgery caused her intestines to leak bile that 'ate away her organs'. Ms Judge went under the knife again, where doctors discovered their error. She woke to find a 'hole' in her abdomen (right)
Speaking of the ordeal, Ms Judge said: 'I went into hospital on July 19 2018 to have my appendix removed.
'During that surgery, the surgeon said that there was a lot of inflammation. So, I was scheduled for another surgery on September 17 to remove a mass on my colon, which was causing a blockage.
'During the surgery on my colon, because my insides were so inflamed, the surgeon accidentally cut my intestine.'
Doctors initially thought the surgery had been a success and sent Ms Judge to a ward to recover.
'I remember waking up and the nurse brought in some beef broth and red jelly,' she said. 'After I had three bites of my jelly, I got nauseous and I threw up all over myself, but it wasn't jelly, it was black and looked like coffee grains.
When her condition failed to improve days later, her surgeon became suspicious and ordered a CT scan of her abdomen.
'The results showed nothing,' Ms Judge said. 'Then they decided to put a tube into my nose and down into my stomach to suck all the infection out of my stomach.
'However, I got worse and my blood pressure dropped, and my heart rate was high.
'My surgeon then suspected sepsis. He told me they needed to open me up again, but I was in so much pain and I refused to let it happen.
'I was scared, but when my surgeon explained how serious it was, I agreed to it.'
Ms Judge spent several days in an induced coma (pictured) to recover from her septic shock
After going under the knife again, doctors realised their mistake and operated there and then.
'The surgery revealed that during the surgery to remove part of my colon, my intestine was nicked and was leaking bile into my body, which was eating away at my organs and tissue,' Ms Judge said.
'The doctors said my body wasn't acting like that of a young person; instead, it was frail and as fragile as someone much older.'
Things went from bad to worse when Ms Judge went into septic shock.
Septic shock can develop if sepsis, which occurs as a severe complication of an infection, goes untreated, according to the Mayo Clinic. It causes the body's blood pressure to fall and its organs to shut down.
'I was put on a line with a lot of IV antibiotics and fluids, and then a breathing tube since I had to be put into a coma