sport news Hamilton notably absent from tributes to Charlie Whiting and £20m motorsport ...

Lewis Hamilton was notably absent from a film of tributes to former race director Charlie Whiting.

Whiting - who died aged 66 in March - was honoured with a memorial service at Silverstone on Thursday evening when the film was played. 

It included contributions from numerous F1 drivers past and present, but Sportsmail understands that Hamilton declined more than one invitation to participate.

Lewis Hamilton declined more than one invitation to participate in tribute to Charlie Whiting

Lewis Hamilton declined more than one invitation to participate in tribute to Charlie Whiting

The five-time world champion attended the event but didn't speak. That was left to Sebastian Vettel, who said: 'In the name of all the drivers, we want to say you were a true racer, you were our race director, you were our guard, you were our friend.' 

Justin Whiting, Charlie's 12-year-old son, will start Sunday's race. 'You had a good teacher,' FIA President Jean Todt told him during the memorial.

Fright at the £20m museum 

The Silverstone Experience - a £20million motorsport museum that was due to open at the former airfield on Tuesday - has been delayed after the firm building it collapsed.

The Walsall-based Shaylor Group went into administration last month and their 200 members of staff made redundant.

The project - of which Prince Harry is the Royal patron - was first mooted in 2011 with funding to convert the former World War Two hangar finally secured in 2016 after a £9m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and a £3m loan from South Northamptonshire council.

The Silverstone Experience was due to open at the former airfield on Tuesday

The Silverstone Experience was due to open at the former airfield on Tuesday

Sally Reynolds, CEO of the Silverstone Heritage Limited charity, told Sportsmail: 'We were gutted that Shaylor Group went into administration last month, forcing us to postpone the opening.

'Elmwood Projects have taken over as principle contractor and, due to the hard work of our team and sub-contractors, the site was back up and running in just over a week.

'Around 1,600 visitors had pre-booked to come to The Silverstone Experience during the British Grand Prix weekend, but around half of those have retained their tickets and will be back later in the year.

'In

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV sport news Nathan Gorman insists birth of his daughter was scarier than fighting Dubois
NEXT sport news Mexico 1-1 Costa Rica (Mexico win 5-4 on penalties) in Gold Cup