By Joe Middleton For Mailonline
Published: 15:40 BST, 22 July 2019 | Updated: 15:45 BST, 22 July 2019
A British holidaymaker has claimed she was left violently ill after drinking 'soapy' mojitos at a posh Dominican Republic hotel where three American tourists died.
Karin Kidd was enjoying a holiday on the Caribbean island with her daughter at the luxury Bahia Principe Resort La Romano, where guests can sip iced cocktails while relaxing by the pool.
But Karin began to see a number of guests were being taken ill with flu-like symptoms, and noticed a peculiar 'soapy' taste in one of her mojitos, shortly before she was due to fly back to the UK in August 2018.
Karin Kidd (pictured) was enjoying a holiday on the Caribbean island, and staying at the luxury Bahia Principe Resort La Romano, where guests can sip iced cocktails while relaxing by the pool
She told The Sun: 'I couldn't bear the taste so I stopped drinking them completely.
'I assumed they had cleaned the machines with a chemical cleaner or something.'
Karin, from Oxford, then started to feel seriously ill, and was unable to leave her hotel room.
She added: ' I had terrible diarrhoea for the next two days at the resort which continued for the week when I got back to the UK.
'I don't want to be graphic, but I was very very unwell ... there was orange diarrhoea.
'It was easier to stay in my room in the resort so I was close to the bathroom.'
After returning home, Karin phoned her brother who is a doctor, and he told her what she ingested could have been a