IT worker, 39, is left paralysed from the neck down after eating undercooked ...

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

A 39-year-old IT worker was left paralysed from the neck down after being served undercooked chicken in a restaurant. 

Richard Jackson, of Portslade, Brighton, suspects he ate the chicken during a meal in London last December, after which he began feeling ill and was admitted to hospital in a state of delirium. 

His condition rapidly deteriorated and within 24 hours he had lost the use of his arms and was unable to swallow. Soon he was paralysed from the neck down and left in a coma for ten days. 

Richard Jackson, of Portslade, Brighton, who suspects he ate the chicken in a meal in London last December, lost the use of his arms and struggled to swallow as his condition deteriorated. He is pictured at a recovery unit

Mr Jackson exercising with medical staff

Richard Jackson, of Portslade, Brighton, who suspects he ate the chicken in a meal in London last December, lost the use of his arms and struggled to swallow as his condition deteriorated. He is pictured at a recovery unit 

Thankfully he recovered and has since attended rehabilitation sessions at Donald Wilson House in Chichester, which have enabled him to regain use of his legs. 

Although he is still recovering the full use of his limbs, Mr Jackson will mark the one-year anniversary of his illness on December 8 by tackling a 5km course around the Goodwood Motor Circuit to raise money for Donald Wilson House, which helped his rehabilitation. 

'It may not sound far, but it's a miracle that I can even attempt this' he said.

Doctors were baffled when the keen windsurfer was admitted to hospital in a state of delirium.

He had been in London for a week and eaten at several different venues so does not know exactly where it happened.

'I developed mild food poisoning from under-cooked chicken which triggered a severe rare auto-immune condition leaving me paralysed,' he said. 

'I was admitted to St Richard's Hospital in Chichester as I started having problems being able to walk.

'I quickly deteriorated and within 24 hours I was unable to use my arms or even swallow. I was delirious and drifting in and out of consciousness.

'At this point the doctors did not know what was happening but they knew they had to do something quickly.

'I was moved to intensive care, placed on a ventilator and effectively switched off in a coma for ten days to give myself the best chances of survival and give doctors the time to work out what was happening.'

Mr Jackson will mark the one-year anniversary of his illness on December 8 by tackling a 5km course around the Goodwood Motor Circuit to raise money for Donald Wilson House, which helped his rehabilitation

Mr Jackson will mark the one-year anniversary of his illness on December 8 by tackling a 5km course around the Goodwood Motor Circuit to raise money for Donald Wilson House, which helped his rehabilitation

What is transverse myelitis? How neurological disorder causes inflammation of the spinal cord and can

read more from dailymail.....

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Police release names of all 39 migrants killed in Essex truck tragedy
NEXT UN keeps Darfur peacekeepers but hopes for their departure