Family and dog gassed to death on Wedge Island camping trip by faulty fridge

A father was just shy of his 20th anniversary when he and his 11-year-old son were gassed to death on a horror camping trip.

Nigel Warman and his youngest son Liam died after their gas-powered fridge sprung a leak inside their tent on a remote Western Australian beach.

The family dog, a black labrador named Ava, also died while Mr Warman's wife Lou was rushed to hospital but survived.

Friends discovered the family camped about 8km from popular holiday spot Wedge Island, about 150km north of Perth, and had to be counselled by locals.

Nigel Warman and his youngest son Liam died after their gas-powered fridge sprung a leak inside their tent. Nigel's wife Lou was rushed to hospital but survived. They are pictured with their older teenage son who was not on the trip

Nigel Warman and his youngest son Liam died after their gas-powered fridge sprung a leak inside their tent. Nigel's wife Lou was rushed to hospital but survived. They are pictured with their older teenage son who was not on the trip 

The family dog, a black labrador named Ava, also died from toxic poisoning near popular holiday spot Wedge Island, 150km north of Perth

The family dog, a black labrador named Ava, also died from toxic poisoning near popular holiday spot Wedge Island, 150km north of Perth

The couple married on August 5, 2000, and have two older children - an adult daughter and teenage son - who were not on the trip.

Ms Warman was originally from Stockport, near Manchester, England, and proposed to Nigel on Great Yarmouth island in 1999. 

Paramedics said Ms Warman was both starved of oxygen and suffered toxic poisoning consistent with a gas leak.

She was airlifted to hospital in a serious condition but has reportedly been discharged. 

WA Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the tragedy was caused by a gas leak from a faulty fridge the family kept inside the tent.

WA Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the tragedy was caused by a gas leak from a faulty fridge the family kept inside the tent (pictured)

WA Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the tragedy was caused by a gas leak from a faulty fridge the family kept inside the tent (pictured)

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Former Belgian-Nicaraguan political prisoner calls for probe into Ortega government