Sydney's famous New Year's Eve fireworks display is set to be CANCELLED to stop ...

Sydney's world-class New Year's Eve fireworks are likely to be cancelled in order to curb the spread of coronavirus. 

An average of one million spectators take to the Sydney Harbour foreshore every year to watch the elaborate 12-minute display on December 31.  

But New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro said on Wednesday the celebration was unlikely to go ahead because of the pandemic. 

Sydney's world-famous New Year's Eve firework display (pictured above) will likely be cancelled to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic

Sydney's world-famous New Year's Eve firework display (pictured above) will likely be cancelled to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic

About one million people flock to the city's iconic foreshore ever year to watch the elaborate 12-minute display where fireworks detonate from Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge

About one million people flock to the city's iconic foreshore ever year to watch the elaborate 12-minute display where fireworks detonate from Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge

Mr Barilaro said the precedent set by the cancellation of major events in regional areas, such as the Tamworth Country Music Festival, suggests large gatherings can't go ahead.

Poll

Should the fireworks be cancelled?

Yes 19 votes No 14 votes

Now share your opinion

'If the regions have to lose big tourism events like this, then there is no option but to cancel the big drawcard events in Sydney and the most obvious is the New Year's Eve fireworks,' Mr Barilaro told The Sydney Morning Herald.

The Herald cited a source close to NSW Police Minister David Elliott saying there were concerns about how to deal with thousands of people converging on the harbour to see the fireworks.

It is understood police believe it would be impossible to ensure social distancing measures with the massive crowds of people. 

Pressure is mounting on the City of Sydney council to make a decision about the iconic celebration.    

New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the celebration (pictured) was unlikely to go ahead as major events and music festivals in regional parts of the state had been cancelled

New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the celebration (pictured) was unlikely to go ahead as major events and music festivals in regional parts of the state had been cancelled

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore has admitted it 'may not be responsible' for the crowded celebrations to go ahead. 

She claimed the decision ultimately rests with NSW Health to determine whether the event can be held safely.

'It would be incredibly sad if Sydney New Year's Eve cannot go ahead, but that is

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Australia's first recession in almost 30 years is set to be confirmed TODAY
NEXT Four Navy aircrew parachute to safety moments before E-2C Hawkeye plane crashes ...