Saturday 26 November 2022 09:59 PM Son, five, dies in parents arms days after choking on a notice board pin trends now
The family of a five-year-old who choked to death after swallowing a notice board pin paid tribute to the boy from South Yorkshire on Saturday.
Kyle Lewis lost his life after three days of fighting, with his parents saying goodbye to him in Rotherham General, only six days after his fifth birthday.
'He took his last heartbeat while we were cuddling him,' said the family in a personal message, adding that they are 'broken beyond words'.
After multiple seizures and a rise in temperature, a scan showed that between 90-95% of Kyle's brain had been damaged after he swallowed the pin.
Emma Lewis, Kyle’s mother, said: 'I can't even explain how I feel. I'm broken beyond words. It doesn't feel real. I don't want it to feel real. They kept him on life support until we were ready to say goodbye.
'But you’re never ready are you?'
Kyle Lewis, 5, lost his life following a three-day fight in hospital after swallowing a notice board pin in South Yorkshire
Kyle’s mother, pictured with him, said: 'He took his last heartbeat while we were cuddling him,' in a personal message on Saturday
Kyle's father waited with him during his final breaths in hospital. The two are pictured together in happier times
Kyle's mother praised the hospital staff for making room for her and Kyle's father, who waited with him during his final breaths.