The Prime Minister reacted furiously to the news that dozens of potentially dangerous terrorists convicted of terror related crimes have been released from prison in recent years. On hearing the news, Mr Johnson ordered a review of the terrorists who had been allowed to leave prison.
Mr Johnson used the opportunity to attack the “failed approaches” that led to the early released of a terrorist convict who on Friday afternoon stabbed and killed two people to death in the City of London.
According to The Daily Telegraph, the Ministry of Justice has launched an urgent inquiry to examine the license conditions for up to 70 potentially violent terrorists believed to have been freed from jail.
Terrorists out on license are expected to face more frequent meetings with authorities from Sunday.
Restrictions on the events they can attend will also be increased, it is understood.
Boris Johnson unleashes fury over 70 freed terrorists following London Bridge horror attack (Image: GETTY)
Boris Johnson and Priti Patel visit London Bridge (Image: GETTY)
Stricter freedoms on convicted terrorists came as Mr Johnson pledged to make terrorists serve “every day” of their prison sentences.
This would come as part of a plan that he said would help prevent further attacks.
The Prime Minister said he was “angry” that 28-year-old Usman Khan had been able to embark on a stabbing-spree on Friday afternoon which resulted in the death of two people, having been released from prison early in December 2018.
Khan was released automatically after serving the minimum of his 16-year jail sentence.
JUST IN:London Bridge: Polish chef fought off attacker with narwhal tusk
Johnson was furious at the news of 70 terrorist having been released (Image: GETTY)
The attacker was arrested in 2010 with eight other men for plotting to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a terrorist training camp.
He was then convicted in 2012.