UPDATE 1- says gun background checks would not have prevented recent gun violence

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

(Updates with further details)

By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON, Sept 1 (Reuters) - As the United States grappled with yet another mass shooting event on Sunday, President Donald said that background checks on gun purchasers would not have prevented recent gun violence in the country.

A gunman near Odessa, Texas, killed seven and wounded 21 more after fleeing a traffic stop on Saturday. His motives remain unclear.

made the remarks to reporters at the White House after returning to Washington from Camp David. The president said he would be working with Democrats and Republicans on gun legislation when Congress returns this month.

"I think Congress has got a lot of thinking to do frankly. They've been doing a lot of work," said. "I think you're going to see some interesting things coming along."

Earlier this year, the Democratic-controlled U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill that calls for background checks on every gun purchase, including sales at gun shows, which are currently exempted. But the measure has failed to receive a vote in the Republican-controlled Senate.

said at the White House that "for the most part, as strong as you make your background checks, they would not have stopped any of it."

Last month, a gunman killed 22 people and wounded another 24 in El Paso, Texas, while another assailant killed nine and injured 27 in Dayton, Ohio.

The shooter in Saturday's incident opened fire during a traffic stop near the town of Midland, Texas, and then sped off, spraying bullets at pedestrians and motorists. At one point, he ditched his car and hijacked a postal truck.

sonos sonos One (Gen 2) - Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built-in - Black read more

The gunman, who remains unidentified, was killed by police in a movie theater parking lot in Odessa.

called him "a very sick person."

After the El Paso and Dayton shootings, initially indicated a willingness to support more stringent background checks on gun buyers, but has since seemed to more closely align himself with the gun lobby, which opposes any increased restrictions.

Julian Castro, the former U.S. housing secretary and Democratic presidential candidate, said on Sunday that "had gone back on his word" regarding background check legislation. Castro, who made the remarks on NBC's "Meet the Press," is a former mayor of San Antonio, Texas.

Story continues

has suggested that he would support efforts to encourage states to adopt "red flag" laws, which give family members and police the power to obtain a court order from a judge to confiscate firearms from someone deemed a danger to themselves or others.

(Reporting by Steve Holland, Writing by Andrea Shalal and James Oliphant Editing by Nick Zieminski and Lisa Shumaker)

all right reserved for yahoo news

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Poll finds older adults not fully prepared for emergencies
NEXT Fadi Fawaz 'is living in a shockingly dirty £49-a-night Travelodge'