Deklan Babington-McDonald dies after being taken off life support, injuring ...

A six-year-old boy has died days after a mishap with a penguin-on-a-leash toy, his family said.  

Deklan Babington-MacDonald, from Nerang on Queensland's Gold Coast, passed away at the state's children's hospital on Friday, family sources confirmed.

Daily Mail Australia understands his life support was turned off about 3pm after his mother Lauren, family and close friends were given time to say their final goodbyes. 

'Deklan passed away on the 30th of April, at Queensland Children’s Hospital, surrounded by his closest family, extended family and some close friends of the family,' a statement said. 

Deklan's loved ones said he suffered a 'severe' injury on Sunday, April 25 while playing with the toy. 

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

The device 'was a penguin toy that you "walk" and the leash was made stiff by a pole but the pole came out,' his cousin Lea Williams said. 

'It turned into basically a long rope with a loop on the end. In a very short amount of time Deklan became entangled.'

Police had said there were 'no suspicious circumstances' found in their initial investigation of the accident. Officers have seized the toy.

Deklan Babington-MacDonald from Nerang on Queensland 's Gold Coast was rushed to hospital on Anzac Day after suffering a 'severe' injury while playing with the unknown toy in his bedroom

Deklan Babington-MacDonald from Nerang on Queensland 's Gold Coast was rushed to hospital on Anzac Day after suffering a 'severe' injury while playing with the unknown toy in his bedroom

Doctors said Deklan's chances of survival were low and on Friday doctors turned off his life support

Doctors said Deklan's chances of survival were low and on Friday doctors turned off his life support 

The 'penguin-on-a-leash' toy was bought by the family on a trip to SeaWorld only days ago

The 'penguin-on-a-leash' toy was bought by the family on a trip to SeaWorld only days ago

The toy was bought for Deklan from a theme park before the horrific incident

Insurance Loans Mortgage Attorney Credit Lawyer

Deklan's mother Lauren Babington discovered him after his heart stopped beating for 30 minutes

Deklan's mother Lauren Babington discovered Deklan 'entangled' in the toy and called for help, but he was unable to be saved 

Pictured: An image of the toy Deklan was playing with when he suffered the injury

Pictured: An image of the toy Deklan was playing with when he suffered the injury

Deklan's mother Lauren Babington discovered him injured by the toy. His heart reportedly stopped beating for 30 minutes. 

His grandparents then rushed from their nearby home to desperately perform CPR. 

Deklan was transferred to Gold Coast University Hospital and later airlifted to the intensive care unit at Queensland Children's Hospital, where doctors said his chances of survival were slim.

Village Roadshow Theme Parks, which operates SeaWorld, released a statement in response to questions from Daily Mail Australia last week, saying staff were 'distressed' to learn about the tragic accident. 

'We need to understand the circumstances around what has occurred and will be fully cooperating with any investigation.

'As our

read more from dailymail.....

PREV Holidays to Portugal, Gibraltar and Israel are ON from May 17
NEXT Seattle chocolate shop fires staff member after she refused to serve two police ...